|Heat Wave conditions can result in
physiological strain, which could even result in death. Orissa
experienced sever heat wave conditions during April to mid
June in 1998, and nearly 2,000 people died of heat stroke.
To minimise the impact during the heat wave and to prevent
serious ailment or death because of heat stroke, you can take
the following measures:
- Avoid going out in the sun, especially between 12.00
noon and 3.00 p.m.
- Drink sufficient water and as often as possible, even if
- Wear lightweight, light-coloured, loose, and porous
cotton clothes. Use protective goggles, umbrella/hat, shoes
or chappals while going out in sun.
- Avoid strenuous activities when the outside temperature
is high. Avoid working outside between 12 noon and 3
- While travelling, carry water with you.
- Avoid alcohol, tea, coffee and carbonated soft drinks,
which dehydrates the body.
- Avoid high-protein food.
- If you work outside, use a hat or an umbrella and also
use a damp cloth on your head, neck, face and limbs
- Do not leave children or pets in parked vehicles
- If you feel faint or ill, see a doctor immediately.
- Use ORS, homemade drinks like lassi, torani (rice
water), lemon water, buttermilk, etc. which helps to
re-hydrate the body.
- Keep animals in shade and give them plenty of water to
- Keep your home cool, use curtains, shutters or sunshade
and open windows at night.
- Use fans, damp clothing and take bath in cold water
TIPS FOR TREATMENT OF A PERSON AFFECTED BY A
- Lay the person in a cool place, under a shade. Wipe
her/him with a wet cloth/wash the body frequently. Pour
normal temperature water on the head. The main thing is to
bring down the body temperature.
- Give the person ORS to drink or lemon sarbat/torani or
whatever is useful to re-hydrate the body.
- Take the person immediately to the nearest health
centre. The patient needs immediate hospitalisation, as heat
strokes could be fatal.
People at risk are those who have come from a cooler
climate to a hot climate. You may have such a person(s)
visiting your family during the heat wave season. They should
not move about in open field for a period of one week till the
body is acclimatized to heat and should drink plenty of water.
Acclimatization is achieved by gradual exposure to the hot
environment during heat